Friday 9 May 2014

Who Gets My Vote? EU Elections 2014




Willie Drennan

I am not a member of, nor do I align myself with, any political party; but I do vote. I do not vote for the politician or the party that I agree with the most, but rather, for whoever agrees with me the most. When I’m not too sure, I tend to vote for those parties that have absolutely no chance of getting elected: the rationale being that I will have a clear conscience when the elected proceed to work on behalf of the powerful global super-rich, who facilitated their election, instead of working on behalf of the people who voted for them.



So who will get my vote on May 22nd in the European elections?  Which politicians out there agree with me the most on the following issues?

1)      I challenge the logic of sending out vast amounts of UK tax-payers money to Brussels to have a chunk of that eaten up by bureaucrats/Eurocrats in Brussels before shipping a portion back to the UK to fund worthy causes in the Arts etc. While some of the EU funded projects are indeed worthy I think it would be more efficient and cost-effective to simply fund the projects direct from the UK.

2)      I believe having some immigrants in this country is advantageous for our local economy and healthy for our society. The majority of the immigrants that I have gotten to know in Northern Ireland are sincere hard-working people who make a genuine effort to integrate into our community.  Some of them are actually a lot of fun as well. The problem is in some parts of the UK immigration is spiralling out of control. It seems to me that this is just an extension of the government strategy of contracting the bulk of our manufactured goods out to cheap labour in poorer countries. Always having a low-paid dependent labour force ensures greater profits and cements control for the super-rich. A more balanced immigration policy is required: one that celebrates the positive aspects of immigration, protects the rights of the immigrant worker while ensuring sensible balanced control.

3)      For Northern Ireland we need representatives in Brussels who will work to develop a more manufacture-based, self-reliant, Private Sector driven economy as opposed to the current unsustainable Public-Sector based economy.

4)      Perhaps a positive aspect of current EU governance is the stringent laws on protecting the environment. It is so easy to turn a blind eye to detrimental effects to our local environment caused by some large scale industrial and agricultural practices. The blind eye is usually in the interests of short-term local economic and political gain. We need politicians who genuinely care about protecting our air, water and wildlife (especially our bees) in the interest of long-term sustainability. We need more focus on developing renewable energies.

5)      The European Union has evolved into something else since the notion of a Common Market was first discussed in the 1950’s. The recent big push to get all EU countries to sign up to a single currency seems to be another step in the direction of a United States of Europe: to fulfil the master plan for those seeking complete control and dominance. I love Europe as it is: the people and the diversity of their cultures, language and traditions. I don’t want to see that all homogenised and controlled by a regime that would be even more impossible to hold to account than our present administrations.
6)  We need politicians who will not support British involvement in foreign wars for the primary purpose of potential expansion of wealth and power: in such places as Iraq and Syria. The EU's expansionist policies have undoubtedly been a factor in the very dangerous situation currently developing in Ukraine.

7)       I’m not too sure whether the best option for the UK is to simply get out of the EU or to negotiate new agreements more akin to the original Common Market concept. What we do need urgently is a national debate followed by a referendum on UK membership of the EU.

               

Should any political party empathise with my viewpoints and would like me to vote for you, do get in touch. As no politician has ever ventured down my long winding lane to solicit my vote I’ll make it easy: email me on willie@theulsterfolk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment